Day 634: Wednesday Adjusts to Her New Sleeping Quarters

The key to encouraging the natives to do, well, much of anything, is through constant repetition.  For instance, if I wanted Tuesday to refrain from performing a specific act, I would say, “Tuesday, please stop doing that,” and change my words and tone, accordingly and repeatedly, based on her response to my request.  That would be learning through repetition.  It appears to be the ONLY way my words get through to the natives, that is, to achieve the intended results.  Often, even after multiple opportunities for repetition, the results are still unfavorable.  Thus was the case with Wednesday and her adjustment with her new sleeping quarters.

Once Wednesday had fallen asleep on Friday evening last, she appeared to be set for the remainder of the night in her new sleeping quarters.  Her sibling, having already mastered sleeping in a small, native sized bed, was fast asleep, the novelty of being able to mount and dismount the bed had worn almost completely away.  As I previously stated, nearly (because I lost count after about a dozen episodes) two dozen episodes is what took Wednesday to stay in her own sleeping quarters.  Two. Dozen.  Once quiet, I slunk into their resting chambers to ensure that the native was asleep and not just playing possum.  Indeed, she was fast asleep.  A victory.  I covered her with her new bed coverings so that she would remain warm throughout the remainder of the evening and went to our own resting quarters for rest.

Sometime during the overnight, I awoke to the harrowing screams and carrying ons of Wednesday, who was obviously distraught about something.  Thinking to myself, all foggy thoughts really because I’m not that bright in the middle of the night, why she wasn’t leaving their sleeping quarters and coming to ours.  Her carrying on continued and I determined that I would go have a look at the situation.  Half asleep and fumbling my way down the hallway toward their resting chambers, I soon got to their door, where I found Wednesday, on the floor in a heap, wailing and crying.

The important thing to note here is that from the ceiling next to Wednesday’s bed hangs a tubular net fixture that neatly houses all (or most of because I don’t believe there’s a structure that could house them all) of the native’s stuffed playthings.  The thing was loaded, much like a punching bag for a boxer.  Wednesday had apparently fallen out of bed and underneath the bottom of the stuffed plaything tube, because there’s about a foot of clearance between it and the floor, and unable to get up because she kept getting knocked back down.  Realizing the seriousness of the episode and noting Wednesday’s building rage, I quickly swept her up off the floor and attempted to console her, with no effect.  Wonderful.  I placed her back in her sleeping quarters and covered her up which helped soothe her building rage and unhappiness.  Soon, she quieted down, while luckily Tuesday remained asleep.  Bullet dodged.

The following morning, both natives were awake and about the tribal living area before the tribal leader and I were awake, or at least I think they were.  It appears that though Wednesday may be awake, she will not exit their resting chambers without the company of Tuesday, which may be both good and bad.  Throughout the weekend, as morning came, Wednesday refrained from venturing out of their resting chambers without Tuesday.  Interesting.  Methinks there is foul play or mischief preparing to be abound.

Overall, the first few nights of Wednesday’s adjustment to her new resting quarters went as expected.  Last evening, as it became time for the natives to retire to their slumbers, the tribal leader and I witnessed expected disobedience from the natives about going to bed.  The hour was late and it was necessary for the little heathens, as well as ourselves,  to go to bed.  And so, it began.  Both natives were tucked into their sleeping quarters and admonished sternly to not leave their resting chambers and to stay in bed.  Tuesday, for the most part, obeyed and stayed in bed, though not quiet.  Wednesday had other plans.

Wednesday is a ninja-in-training.  While she possesses many of the skills of a ninja (ie. moving quietly, lurking in shadows unnoticed, etc.) she lacks the important traits of STAYING quiet and unnoticed.  For, she ventured out of her resting quarters several times, the first of which was lurking in the dark shadows of the hall.  She apparently found something that excited her curiosity which was the only reason we knew she was up.  Click, Click. Click, Click.  What the hell was that?  Because the abode was dark (we make it as dark as possible to encourage the natives to remain in their resting chambers), I needed a light to figure out what was making the noise.  As soon as light struck the hallway, Wednesday scurried away, much like a raccoon who is in the process of tipping over a garbage can when surprised by a light.  I turned out the light and returned to the food preparation area.  Again she emerged from the room, this time bolder than before, lurking in the shadows outside of the food preparation area’s light.  This time, I escorted her personally back to her sleeping quarters and admonished her NOT to get up and come out again.  I returned to my place at the communal eating surface and waited.  And waited.  Perhaps she had taken my admonishment.  Hardly.

The next sounds I heard were that of wooden blocks hitting the bottom of a wooden box.  Shit.  A toy was left in their resting chambers.  Shit, shit, shit.  The tribal leader admonished her over the activity monitor to go to bed and stop playing.  Nothing.  Crickets.  Frustrated, I left my place again and arrived in the native’s resting chambers.  I grabbed the toy and removed it from their room.  There.  Then, I returned to the room where Wednesday was still sitting on the floor, wondering what the hell had just happened.  I whisked her up and put her in her sleeping quarters once more, which was met with distraught  crying and carrying on.  Sigh.

Wednesday was reprimanded once more by the tribal leader before she remained in her sleeping quarters and fell asleep.  Good God.  This should not be that difficult.  Both natives remained asleep and in their sleeping quarters until morning, thankfully.

So, as I’ve said, everything went as expected – Wednesday is not quite twenty-three months in age and this behavior is expected, although, we, the tribal leader and I, were optimistic that her behavior would be a bit more favorable than this.  Nonetheless, after constant repetition, I expect that the native will learn that when it’s time for slumbers, it’s time for slumbers.  Until then, I’m also positive that Wednesday will be honing her ninja skills so that her farts do not betray her shadow lurking and nocturnal behavior.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: